Autor: Jimena González Sanz
Welcome back to our section, today we are going to introduce you to FALSE FRIENDS! Maybe you have or not Heard about them before but it is essential to realize there are some tricky words that can make us misunderstand important information.
According to wikipedia “False friends are words in two languages that look or sound similar, but differ significantly in meaning. An example is the English embarrassed and the Spanish embarazada (which means pregnant), or the word sensible, which means reasonable in English, but sensitive in French and Spanish. ”
Here we present a funny situation
Today we are going to introduce 10 words you might have come across and do not realize they are false friends!
- Advertise may look like advertir (to warn) in Spanish but in fact it means anunciar.
- Assists may look like asistir (to attend) in Spanish but in fact it means ayudar.
- Bizarre may look like bizarro (brave) in Spanish but in fact it means extraño.
- Conductor may look like conductor (driver) in Spanish but in fact it means director de orquesta.
- Contest may look like contestar (to answer) in Spanish but in fact it means concurso.
- Deception may look like decepción (dissapointment) in Spanish but in fact it means engaño.
- Embarrased may look like embarazada (pregnant) in Spanish but in fact it means avergonzado.
- Envy may look like enviar (to send) in Spanish but in fact it means envidiar.
- Library may look like librería ( book shop) in Spanish but in fact it means biblioteca.
- Rope may look like ropa (clothes) in Spanish but in fact it means cuerda.
Now let´s see if you can identify if this text is right or wrong. At th end of the text you will find the answers!
The other day I had to catch the bus because I had to return some books in the (a) library and buy new (b)ropes for the school party. After ten minutes waiting it came and when I entered I greeted the (c)conductor. I could find a seat so I sat down. Then at the first stop (d)an embarrassed woman came in. She was carrying heavy bags so I only could (e)attend her.I asked if she needed some help and she (f) answered that yes. It is not (g) bizarre people help each other but it was a (h)deception that only me left its place. The woman was so grateful that she (i) sent me a gift to thank me for my help.
So when choosing words that may seem or sound the same to some others in our mother tongue,think twice!
Jimena González Sanz.